Apologies to Issac Asimov.
- Model your business not your source systems. Your competitive advantage is your unique perspective of your market.
- Software is automation. Your data warehouse should be a robot, programmed and tuned to provide the right data to the right people at the right time, while constantly checking itself for errors and inconsistencies.
- Never scale your team to keep up with the day-to-day, you should only grow your team because you have harder engineering problems to solve. (quoted from a Facebook manager)
- Big data is what happened when the cost of storing information became less than the cost of making the decision to throw it away.” (George Dyson via Tim O’Reilly)
- The reports are the warehouse. Everything between the report and the source system is overhead.